Friday, August 19, 2011

Nora's Room

Boy, have I been nesting! I've had so much fun re-imagining the nursery for Nora (due in less than three weeks!). As you know, I updated the canopy over the crib, and then I had a moment of brilliance! I remembered that we had a big canvas in the office covered with a fabric the same color as the new canopy. I moved it into the nursery just to see if it worked, and it was PERFECT. I love it when things work out that way.

BUT, with that new, bold fabric in the mix, I had to change out the crib skirt. I decided to make my own from a cute white and blue polka dot fabric.
And just to make it extra adorable, I added a little blue pom pom trim.
Then I had to figure out what to do with the curtains. They were originally floor-length, but with the new dresser under the window, I needed some shorter ones.

So, I cut and hemmed the existing curtains, but they were just too plain. Because of this, I decided to liven them up a bit! I hardly had any fabric leftover from the big canvas and the crib skirt, so I had to brainstorm to figure out what would work.

Then I had the idea to make a patchwork strip to sew across the bottom of the curtain, using the few scraps I had, plus a few other coordinating fabric pieces.
I'm sorry the lighting is so funky.
When I get everything hung up on the walls, I'll try to talk my photographer husband into taking some really pretty photos of the room. In the meantime, I hope you'll get at least an idea how it's coming along.

22 comments:

Rachel said...

So cute and so lovely! I love your creative ideas and the color scheme!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It looks so adorable! I especially love your use of what you have instead of buying new things! Awesome job! :)

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

Pauly Heller said...

You already know how much I love it, JJ. It's just so not your typical nursery color scheme, but so functional, a room that will take Nora from infancy into childhood. I can already imagine her and Lucy playing on the floor in there (and climbing on Bjorn)!

Melody said...

I love it...so adorable!

And I love, love, love, the name you've chosen! I have a little Nora, too : - )

Laura said...

I love your curtains! I had just thought of doing exactly that, the white curtains with the patches of color. My mother-in-law made this beautiful wall hanging quilt and I thought I'd accent it by making curtains to match. So glad to see this!!! Oh and the rest is so adorable. Wonderful creativity JJ!

A beautiful existence said...

Girl I had no idea you were so crafty! This is all so beautiful and original! God bless you as you await her arrival!

Sheryl said...

absolutely lovely! I also love how you're not afraid to use blue in a girl's room :) my baby girl's room is cherry blossom themed with lots of aqua/blue mixed in.

cottagepinkperfection said...

You are so talented. I love seeing your blog and all of your ideas!

Kat said...

so cute. i love the canopy, especially.

http://breatheandhush.blogspot.com/

Lin said...

You did a wonderful job! I love the color combinations and the fact that you tied it all together in the curtains. What a beautiful job!

Rachel and Sarah said...

Wow! So creative! :) I love how you take something you already have and turn it into something beautifully new! :)
-Sarah

Christie Clair said...

So beautiful! I love seeing all your crafty/decorating posts...You are crazy talented. Blessing for the weeks to come.

Christina said...

Looks Fantastic!
xoxo

kara rhea said...

amazing! So creative, wish I could sew!!!

Anonymous said...

You have such an abundance of talent! I'm trying not to be envious. :) Everything in the nursery is beautiful. I love how you re-use, re-purpose and scrap together. Great ideas!!! And the table in the previous post is lovely.

I Have A Reason to Sing said...

You are so great! I am learning to use a sewing machine and your blog ideas get me excited to start decorating. I also love your music a lot and it is such an inspiration! Hope you will do concerts in Atlanta Soon!

stephanie moors said...

i love it jj!!! i can't wait to meet little nora!

Linda Z said...

Love how you've pulled it all together! The canopy and pom pom trim are adorable! :)

New Dress A Day said...

I love what you did!! That pompom trim is the best - totally adorable! xx Marisa

Anonymous said...

That fabric on the wall hanging is fantastic! Where do you find such great fabric?

Anonymous said...

hey JJ, I heard [okay, read in your blog] that you were into the sewing crafts, and I just *like less than an hour ago* was handed this book that reminded me of you! It's called Piecing Expanding the Basics, by Ruth B. McDowell, and it looks like a really great crafy-person book...I'm excited to try out some of the ideas in it, so yeah. Just wanted to share my excitment with another craft-er:D Like I said, I JUST got it so I dunno how easy it is to do, but just the cover picture inspires me to try it anyway!:) So yeah, God bless!