Saturday, August 29, 2009

Favorite So Far

I TOLD you I was going to make more of these! Thanks again to the lovely Jessica over at Happy Together for posting this tutorial. I have her link over in my sidebar, so you can go visit anytime you'd like.

I was going through my pajama drawer, attempting to pack for our trip out to Nashville, when I ran across this old shirt of mine. I used to wear it out, then it was demoted to a pajama shirt, but I don't remember the last time I actually put it on. When I saw it, I knew that it would make a perfect dress for Lucy!

This project took about 2 hours and NO $$$. I made the ruffle out of another old t-shirt of mine that I haven't worn in over a year.

I love how summery this dress is... it's too bad the summer is almost over!

I already want to make another one (I need help people!). I could make little tank tops too!

12 comments:

Creative Mama said...

J you make me smile... the dresses are LOVELY!!! you know you could always have her wear a onesie as it gets colder... it would still look SUPER cute... AND what a great gift for other friends... too bad ALL your gal pals have boys... lots and lots of boys... :)

Carol said...

All these recent posts make me a little bummed I never got that girl I wanted. ;) These are so great!!

paintingsongs said...

haha i used to have that shirt as well. such a great idea!

Angela's Heartwork said...

So cute! I would totally have her wear it in the fall/winter with a long-sleeved onesie and some tights or leggings... she would look adorable! SIGH. Makes me wish I could sew. LOL

Lees said...

Quick question for you... I made an aplique based on that site you recommend... whne you do yours - after you sew around them - do you do fray check - or does it stay ok? I made two shirts with "2"'s on them - I have twins who turn two in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Lees said...

Thanks so much!!!!

Becky said...

Two questions...How did you make the ruffle and when you V stitched around the neck and arms...did you fold anything down or just stitch on the raw edge?

*jj said...

I sewed two strips together for the ruffle and did a basting stitch to gather it. Then I pinned it to the bottom and stitched it to the dress. I just folded the edges over and did a regular straight stitch for the finished edges.

Becky said...

thank you! I LOVE this idea of using old T-shirts to make dresses for my baby!

markandjesss said...

I just tried this last night and it was so quick and simple! I read the tutorial you left. Thanks! I used a polo shirt and turned it into a dress for my 5 year old! She loves it. -Jess

Unknown said...

I love your version! So cute and so is your little one :)