Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Story of Lucy


Let me just say that Lucy's birth was NOT what I expected. I was bracing myself for a long labor, and I was also planning to get an epidural. Neither one of those things happened!

In the early morning of December 6th (Lucy's due date), I had a hard time sleeping. The baby was constantly moving around in my tummy keeping me awake. Then around 2 am, I noticed that I was having fairly uncomfortable contractions that were coming every ten minutes or so. After about four of these, I decided to wake up Dave to have him help me breathe through them and keep track of the frequency and duration.

I eventually decided to get out of bed and take a shower, but once I got up, the contractions weakened and shortened. After about an hour and a half of this, we decided to call the doctor. I explained the situation; that I was three and a half centimeters dilated at my last appointment, that I was full-term, and then I described my inconsistent contractions. He said, "Well, you might as well come in and have us check you out." We weren't too rushed as we left the house since the doctor suggested that this could be a false labor.

Dave and I packed up our things and left our house at 4:10 am. We arrived at the hospital about 15 minutes later, signed some paperwork, and made our way to triage. A nurse checked out my cervix and told me that I was 7 cm dilated! She said I was doing great for someone that far into labor (which made me feel good :). She asked if I wanted a wheel chair for the short trip down the hall to the labor and delivery room, but I said that I could walk. I had to take a break half way there to lean on the arm rail and breathe through a tough contraction, but I made it!

Once we arrived at the delivery room, the nurse had me go use the restroom, and then I got situated on my bed. The nurse paged the doctor and put in my IV while I breathed my way through another pretty intense contraction. Dave left to go get my birthing ball (I was planning to sit on it and use it to get through more contractions) from the car, and when he came back about 3 minutes later I said, "You missed it. My water just broke!" About five seconds later I was overwhelmed by the most intense contraction I'd had up to that point.

I told the nurse, "It feels like I have to push!" She quickly got on the intercom and sounded a bit desperate as she paged the doctor again and cancelled my epidural (hello natural labor). She checked my progress and told me to try not to push as she paged the doctor again (I'm pretty sure she was holding the baby in at this point). Meanwhile, I was starting to breathe really fast and could feel my hands and face starting to tingle. I was definitely getting a little freaked out (there was a bit of screaming involved Dave tells me), but finally the doctor showed up. I was encouraged to slow down my breathing, but I couldn't seem to do it.

Finally, I feel like God gave me the idea to sing. For some reason, the song that came to me was one that I haven't sung in years. The lyrics go like this: I cast all my cares upon You. I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet. And anytime I don't know what to do, I will cast all my cares upon you. I just kept singing it over and over.

It was amazing how much peace it gave me, and how it regulated my frantic breathing. Dave told me later that that was the loudest he's ever heard me sing :). I am SO thankful that God gave me that song. He knew exactly what I needed to get me through... He is so good.

Meanwhile, as I was singing, the doctor told me that the baby's heart rate was dropping dangerously low, and I needed to push her out as soon as I possibly could. He told the nurse to bring the vacuum just in case they needed to use it. So, I mustered all the strength I had in my soul, bore down, and pushed her out in three pushes. They cut her umbilical cord and whisked her away to the warming table. She didn't make any noises for what seemed like an eternity, and Dave said that her skin was very blue when she came. I was so scared and so exhausted. The baby finally started to cry and the color came back to her precious little cheeks. Praise the Lord!

They cleaned her off, swaddled her, and brought her back to me. I cannot describe the joy of seeing my child for the first time. I couldn't believe how beautiful she was, and that she was mine.

Lucy Love Heller was born at 5:16 am... less than 15 minutes from the time we got to the labor and delivery room. Apparently she was ready to meet the world. My labor with her lasted three hours and fifteen minutes from start to finish.

The name Lucy means bringer of light... and that's exactly what she does.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the story of your daughter's birth. God is awesome and never fails to amaze me with his daily miracles. May God bless Lucy's life, and continue to bless yours.

In his love,
Megan Curtis

Anonymous said...

JJ~ thank you for sharing your birth story, all can I say is WOW! Thats crazy for your first baby :o) God is so great!! I am glad she is well (and hope you are feeling good too!) I bet the whole room/floor had such a treat with you singing, your voice is amazing! CONGRATS again!!!

Shelley
North Carolina

Ashley said...

YAY! *tears* I love that song, too, and it's often come to my head in frantic situations... however when I'm in labor I'm sure I'll just be screaming. :) So happy for you all!

Amy said...

Ah, J.J... I loved hearing this... thanks so much for sharing your experience with bringing little Lucy into the world. I loved the song Jesus brought to you.. Kelly Willard... love that song! I couldn't help but laugh a little at your side notes of what Dave remembered...LOL! Love it! Bless you and your sweet family! Just remember to sleep when she sleeps, k??

Hugs.. Amy

Judy Kellner said...

What a blessing it has been to witness God's marvelous hand in the planning for Lucy's entrance into this world. I am honored to be her Grammy and her Poppa and I are committed to praying for her and spoiling her a lot!!!

Pauly Heller said...

The only thing better than being a new mother is being a new grandmother! I am so happy your mom got to be there with you for this event, JJ; I'll bet it will be hard for her to go home. I'm looking forward to getting my turn :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your birth story. I'm so glad it went fast for you! Way to go! I ended up having my baby in 3 pushes as well (with no epidural). Can't beat that ;)! Well done! I'm so glad Lucy's here safe and healthy. Enjoy your baby girl. You will one day sleep again :).

Colleen

Elisabel said...

AWWW!! What a beautiful story! Thanks a bunch for sharing! My little sisters and I kept asking each other, I wonder how her labor went? So it was such a blessing to read about it. I wish the best in your new life as parents. Welcome to the world Lucy!
Blessings<><

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful birth story. I love that you sang through it, that's awesome! They call this time that you're in now "babymoon" like a honeymoon between baby and momma. I hope that you're having a wonderful, amazing, beautiful babymoon JJ and Lucy (and Dave too!).

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful birth story. I love how you sang the baby out. Thank you for sharing.

Ali said...

Lucy's first concert! It is such a blessing to grow up in a musical home; I know she'll be singing soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience. I'm so happy for all of you! What a way to enter the world, to your mother's beautiful voice. Congratulations! Lucy

Anonymous said...

Thank You for sharing your story! What a beautiful story!

Sleepless Stitch said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful thing with us!!
The Lord is so awesome!!!
What a blessing. :)

Molly W. said...

Wow! That is an amazing story! And you're right...God is soo good.

The Porter Family said...

Wow JJ. What an AMAZING birth story. And how fitting that God gave you a song to sing to comfort you :) I think that is just so precious. Adam and I are sooo happy for both of you! We will be praying for you as you enter into the world of being full-time parents!!!

Anonymous said...

yay!!!! more pics!!!!!!!!

Kellyry said...

I love that song and find that it comes to me at random times as well. Love the way God gives us just the right words to express our needs in those moments.

Congrats to you & Dave, and of course to Lucy for making a memorable entrance!

switchinggranny said...

Oh sister.. I am thankful things went so quickly for you. Even though it can be almost more than you are able to keep up with. I love that you sang while Lucy was being born.

Thank you for sharing your birth story with us.

Loving the pictures... praying for you (all of you) as you adjust to being a family.

Denise Karis said...

brilliant! Congratulations! I can't believe how much I missed in the week I didn't read your blog! That'll teach me :P Shes so beautiful - really a lovely little girl - so much love to you and your family - congratulations

denise

Colleen Oakes said...

Oh man, I'm wiping tears away! It's perfect that your daughter came into the world hearing your beautiful voice singing..it's something that will comfort her her whole life.

What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Whew! That is short!!! I've had 5 labors- 3 with epidural and 2 without. Even though it is PAINFUL!!!! I like the med-free deliveries better. :)

CONGRATS again!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfull story! thank you for being so open and shareing everything :) it brought lovly happy tears to my eyes. Thank you JJ.
Love, raquel

Anonymous said...

I found that really moving and Dave's photography is compliments beautifully. How great is our God?

Melissa said...

that's soo amazing how God gave you that song to sing. He is just beyond amazing! I love Lucy's name, so beautiful!